Monday, March 10, 2014

Lycopene for the Lycanthropically-Challenged

I don't like tomatoes.  They are super gross.  One of my earliest memories involves tomato sauce fighting its way up from my stomach.  I lost the battle, and tomato anything and I have been mortal enemies ever since.

Tomatoes are also very healthy, digestive pyrotechnic episode aside.  They are filled with lycopene.  Lycopene, sadly, has little to do Remus Lupin other than Remus Lupin had a prostate.  I have already cited my lack of prostate as a very good reason for me to never consume tomatoes.

But what if Remus Lupin came to my house for dinner?  As a lycanthrope with a prostate, I would want to make sure I was looking out for his future with his child.  This is, after all, my hypothetical situation.  Remus is suddenly starting to focus on his health because life isn't just about marauding anymore.  It's about his family!


"There comes a time in every man's life, Harry, when he has to start thinking about prostate health," Remus Lupin never said.

So I would make him what I ate last night: Fresh Tomato and Garlic Penne.  This recipe calls for one pound of tomato.  That's a lot of lycopene.  So guess who's never getting prostate cancer?  Did you guess Remus Lupin and me?  Because that's the right answer!  Also, incidentally, canon.

Luckily this recipe involves two things I love.  Garlic is in the title.  And cheese is to be assumed.  Can my love of cheese and garlic outweigh my hatred of tomatoes?

There's almost more cheese than pasta....

Yes and no.  I cleaned my plate.  This is more tomato than I've eaten in the previous 25 years of my life combined.  In one sitting.  But tomatoes are still not something I'm going to seek out.  I'm definitely not eating them like apples any time soon.  And I'll still be ordering my pasta with just cheese.  Mostly because cheese is the best.

2 comments:

  1. I would pay money for a full scene of Lupin explaining men's health issues to Harry.

    ReplyDelete